Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Friday, April 11, 2008

Honey Buttermilk Bread

I LOVE my bread machine. I decided to use it full time for my family's bread, and have been excited by the money we have saved and the preservatives we have avoided by doing so. I haven't purchased a loaf of bread from the store since December of last year, and I don't miss it one bit. While it's fun to branch out and explore new recipes, this is the one that has become our staple. Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf.


*1- 1/4 oz pkg yeast
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
*3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup warm water

Place ingredients into the pan in the order above; select white, basic, or the closest equivalent on your machine, then press start. Before you know it, the smell of delicious homemade bread will waft throughout your home. Get your honey-butter ready!

*If using yeast that is not packaged in the 1/4 oz measurement, I have found that the equivalent of loose yeast is somewhere between 1/2 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp. You will have to play around with it for your machine.

*Sugar can be substituted for the honey, although the flavor, in my opinion, is not as good.

2 comments:

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

I was so excited, now so disappointed about my find of a bread machine. I will still get one though. I love homemade bread. What kind of machine do you have?

Tiffany said...

My mom just gave me their bread machine, so I decided to try this recipe. Kevin aboslutely loved it, so we will be making it instead of buying bread! Do you have any good recipes for a whole wheat loaf?