Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Cheryl's Buttermilk Syrup

Cheryl got this recipe from The Royal Fork restaurant in Sioux Falls. Knowing her I'm sure this recipe has her adjustments and improvements added. It is so good I could eat it with a spoon (and sometimes do)! This makes a huge amount of syrup so make sure you have a big enough pot, and plan on sharing! It also freezes well. Just thaw and reheat before serving.

Yield: 1 1/2 gallons

3 1/2 quarts sugar
2 quarts buttermilk
2 pounds butter
2 cups corn syrup
3 tablespoons baking soda
1/2 cup vanilla -- I used Mexican vanilla

It is a must to use a very large, even huge pot for this recipe.
Melt butter over a low flame. Add sugar, buttermilk, and corn syrup, mix well.
Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until thickens, stirring occasionally
Put the pot in your sink, add baking soda and stir. Add vanilla and stir.
Remove from heat and place in serving size containers.
Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Separation will occur. Reheat and stir before serving.

*An urgent message - use a large enough kettle. I can't tell you how much it boils up and over after adding the soda. You will loose so much of the syrup and make such a HUGE mess if your kettle isn't large enough. You should put the kettle in the sink when adding soda so that if you do have a boil over, it will not be a huge mess to clean nor mess up your stove with all that sweet and sticky syrup. I added 1 Tbsp at a time and this helped! I'm warning you and not exaggerating at all when I talk about the boil over, I couldn't believe it!

2 comments:

Taylor Gardner said...

I have to say that this recipe doesn't look too complicated--I had thought a few times about making Cheryl's syrup, but was deterred by the page of instructions, thinking it was more complicated than this. Austin DREAMS about this syrup, so Thanks! for this simplified, non-intimidating recipe.

April said...

Amen to that, Taylor. Thanks Kristin--I think I'll be giving it a try!