Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Valentine's Day Cake

So I've been wanting to post recipes for a while but am just now getting to it. Having a newborn around makes it difficult to get to the computer. But I would like to share this one that I made for my sweet hubby on Valentine's Day. It's super easy. I got the recipe from Alex's mom (Cheryl). I was quite fond of the frosting and adding the sliced berries was my own personal decorative touch. Hope you enjoy my first post. :o)

Valentine's Day Cake:

Cream until fluffy:
3/4 Cup butter
1 3/4 Cups sugar

Add and beat for one minute:

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
(Danncy Mexican, if you can get it)

Combine separately:

2 Cups unsifted flour
3/4 Cup cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add dry mixture to batter alternately with 1 1/3 Cups very cold water, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Pour batter into a fun heart shaped cake pan (I got mine at Walmart for $6) and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until done. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:

6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup cocoa
2 2/3 Cups unsifted powdered sugar
1/3 Cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (Danncy Mexican, if you can get it)

Cream together the butter and cocoa. In a separate container, add the vanilla to the milk. Add the powdered sugar alternately with the milk/vanilla mixture. It's amazing how these few simple ingredients can make such a yummy frosting. Trust me.

Decorate:

I used strawberries because I love the strawberry and chocolate combo. You'll need about 8 medium sized strawberries sliced vertically. Then just get creative. I suppose you could use other fruit if you'd like too. I might try sliced pineapple or raspberries. Any fresh fruit goes well with chocolate. Have fun experimenting.

No comments: