Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Homemade Croutons

Is it just me, or do croutons at the store seem way over priced? I think they are and decided to try my hand at making my own. You can use any bread that you may have on hand - stale bread works great - and enjoy yummy croutons at a fraction of the cost.

Virtually any kind of seasonings can be used - experiment to see what your family likes!

Ingredients:
4 cups bread cubes
4 Tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 Tablespoons dried basil
2 Tablespoons dried thyme
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 35oF.
2. Warm butter until melted on stove top or in microwave. Add garlic and seasonings and mix well. Add bread to mixture and toss to coat all the cubes.
3. Transfer to baking sheets, spreading bread out in a single layer, and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
4. Cool completely and serve. You can also store in an airtight container or freeze until needed.

*I like to double or triple the batch and store it.

*If you use a strong-tasting bread, like homemade whole wheat bread, I find you have to increase the seasonings to get a good flavor.

1 comment:

Lyanna said...

WHY have I not thought about doing this before?!?! And, I just bought some croutons the other day too... I will definitely be giving this one a try!!! Thanks