Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Friday, February 13, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Streusel Coffee Cake

Kristin stumbled upon a food website that is now among my favorites. If I find myself in need of an amazing dessert recipe, I am confident it can be found here.

I tried this hot out of the oven, and was disappointed that it wasn't better. HOWEVER, I took one taste for breakfast in the morning, and was completely converted to this delicious dessert. The rest of the pan hardly made it to the end of the day before I devoured it single-handedly. I will make this one many times, I'm sure. It's a winner!

Recipe and photos courtesy of Stephanie. Click here to view her website.

For the Cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

For the Streusel:
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla.
4. Slowly add flour mixture, and than buttermilk until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
6. Pour batter in the pan, it will be slightly thick.
7. Make streusel. Mix sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add butter and mix with hands, or a pastry blender until mixture is the size pea sized crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes* or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

*For some reason, it took nearly an hour before mine was ready to come out of the oven. Be sure to check for done-ness so you don't end up with a soggy, soupy mess.


1 comment:

Analisha said...

Wow...I fell in love with this when Maddox and I stopped to play at Taylors. It is delicious. If I weren't trying to loose a few pounds, I would have come home and make it that night so I could devour it the next day! Yum Yum