Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits

Another winner from Stephanie's Kitchen, if I had to use just one word to describe these biscuits it would be FINALLY! I have wanted a great biscuit recipe for a really long time. After countless attempts resulting in palatable, yet disappointingly mediocre biscuits, I was extremely excited by the ease and SUCCESS of this recipe. Barring my stumbling upon some unforeseen, miraculous recipe that outdoes this one, when my grandkids request some of Grandma's delicious, moist buttermilk biscuits, this will be the recipe I'm still using!!


Photo courtesy of Stephanie's Kitchen

Buttermilk Biscuits

makes 6-12 biscuits depending on how thick you cut them**

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

6 tablespoons chilled butter

1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Add buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly a few times just until smooth. Pat the dough to desired thickness, 1/2 inch to 1 inch (I like thick biscuits). Using a round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits.

3. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Brush some melted butter over the tops to make them even more delicious!

[**I experimented with a more thin dough, but my REAL success came when I kept them rolled nice and thick. They really do rise very nicely to make big, thick biscuits, and when they are thick they get that crackle in the middle that marks the classic buttermilk biscuit experience.**]

1 comment:

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

I made these delicious biscuits to serve with soup. They are easy to make but the selling point for me is the texture. They are moist and tender. Most of the biscuits I've made are so dense they gum up in your mouth, but not these. A tip - If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute it by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk. Let it sit for 5 min. and use as buttermilk.