Comments

We would love to hear from you. If you have made any of our recipes let us know how you liked it and if you have any recommendations. If you would like to suggest a recipe to be posted, send us an email at icookandtell@gmail.com. Thanks for cooking with us!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kettle Corn

I always crave Kettle Corn when at a fair or market. It's one of those things I have to buy but don't like the high price. I made this for the first time last night and was surprised at how easy it is. Kellen said it's better than at the fair. Don't be afraid to experiment and add other flavors to your taste. Just try not to eat the whole batch yourself, like I did. There's no picture because I ate it before I got a chance to take one. Next time! That gives me an excuse to make it again.

Homemade Kettle Corn
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup popcorn
Salt to taste

In a heavy pan with tight lid, heat oil over medium high heat with three kernels of popcorn. When kernels pop, add popcorn and sugar at the same time and stir quickly to dissolve sugar. You can also add salt or cinnamon at this point or to cooked popcorn. Cover with lid. Place on the heat for 3 seconds, then remove pan from heat and shake vigorously; repeat as long as corn is popping. Remove from heat and pour into bowl. I used a 5.5 qt pot and it was just big enough. I wouldn't recommend doubling the recipe, rather make two separate batches. You may have greater chances of the popcorn burning doing too much at once.


Variations:

- Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon, salt, vanilla, or 1 teaspoon chipotle powder with the sugar in the pan.

- Toss mini M&M's or chocolate chips into warm popcorn.

- Drop a few drops of food coloring into the oil and stir before adding popcorn and sugar.

- Scatter cooked popcorn on a baking pan lined with waxed paper and drizzle white and dark chocolate all over it. Turn over by laying another pan top upside down and flip the popcorn over. Drizzle the other side. Heavily. Break apart. Add nuts or whatever. Try different flavors of chips. Peanut butter, or butterscotch, or whatever you can find. Bag and give to friends for gifts.

- Instead of using oil, melt about 1/4 cup of butter flavored shortening. It makes the kernels pop much faster, lighter, and adds a hint of buttery taste.

- Use halt white sugar and half brown sugar.

- Do not add powdered flavorings to the oil as it will burn. Instead, sprinkle on cooked popcorn.

1 comment:

Alex said...

This sounds good and I have a popcorn popper I've only used once. I'm excited to try it. So because I'm new to the blog world, I'm still getting the hang of things, but I would like to be invited to post recipes as well. I'm not a huge cook but I learn a little here and there. Also, could i get reinvited to your blog? I haven't seen it in forever and would like to.